Roger Sessions, The Group For Contemporary Music - String Quartet / String Quintet / Canons FLAC album
Roger Sessions (1896-1985): Canons (to the memory of Stravinsky), per quartetto d'archi (1971) -- Benjamin Hudson e Carol Zeavin, violini; Lois Martin, viola; Joshua Gordon violoncello. - The music published in this channel is exclusively dedicated to divulgation purposes and not commercial
Canons (To The Memory Of Stravinsky) (1971) For String Quartet. Six Pieces For Cello (1966). 5. Prelude (Allegro Energico). 6. Dialogue (Andante). 7. Scherzo (Allegro). Cello – Joshua Gordon. Composed By – Roger Sessions. Ensemble – The Group For Contemporary Music. Other Versions (2 of 2) View All. Cat.
A quick glance at his discography reveals that Roger Sessions' chamber works are seriously under-recorded; while this 2006 Naxos album of works for strings appears to be a welcome addition to a lamentably meager catalog, it is really a reissue of the 1993 release by the Group for Contemporary Music on Koch International Classics.
Roger Sessions: Quintet; Quartet. Roger Sessions: Quintet; Quartet. CD - Koch International Classics. A quick glance at his discography reveals that Roger Sessions' chamber works are seriously under-recorded, so this 1993 recording by the Group for Contemporary Music on Koch International Classics is a welcome addition to a lamentably meager catalog. Listeners just beginning to explore his fascinating music may choose to start off with the String Quartet No. 1 in E minor (1938), since it bears some interesting resemblances to Beethoven's String Quartet in A minor, Op. 132, and is a product of Sessions' neo-Classical phase.
String Quintet: III. Allegro appassionato - Group for Contemporary Music. 4. Canons (to the memory of Stravinsky) - Group for Contemporary Music. String Quartet No. 1 in E Minor: I. Tempo moderato - Group for Contemporary Music. 12. 1 in E Minor: II. Adagio molto - Group for Contemporary Music. 13. 1 in E Minor: III. Vivace molto - Group for Contemporary Music. More by Roger Sessions. Roger Sessions: Music for Violin and Piano.
Album · 2006 · 1 Song. Sessions: String Quintet - String Quartet No. 1 - Canons (to the memory of Igor Stravinsky). Erika Duke Kirkpatrick, Joan La Barbara, Ralph Grierson, San Francisco Contemporary Music Players & Stephen Mosko.
Roger Sessions: String Quintet, String Quartet No. 1. Naxos Records . 59261. Harvey Sollberger: Chamber Variations, Divertimento. CRI 743. Edgard Varèse: Déserts. CRI 268. Peter Westergaard: Mr. & Mrs. Discobbolos. CRI 696. Stefan Wolpe: Oboe Quartet. String Quartet, Trio for Flute Cello and Piano. 59262. Stefan Wolpe: The Man From Midian. 59265. Charles Wuorinen: Six Trios. 59264. Charles Wuorinen: The Mission of Virgil, The Great Procession, The River of Light.
11. String Quartet In E Minor: Tempo Moderato. String Quartet In E Minor: Adagio Molto. String Quartet In E Minor: Vivace Molto. Performer: Benjamin Hudson, Carol Zeavin, Lois Martin, Jenny Douglass, Joshua Gordon. Orchestra: Group for Contemporary Music at Columbia University. Nonetheless, this might be Sessions at his best. I don't hesitate in recommending this CD.
View and listen to String Quartet and other Chamber Music sheet music arrangements from the catalogue of the Gyros String Quartet. Quartet Arrangements and Other Sheet Music. This section serves two purposes: 1. If you are musician looking for an arrangement of a particular piece (perhaps it was requested with short notice), you might find it here. If you need something in a hurry, please e-mail or call Norbert Gerl at 214-373-9498 for info/prices, and I'll be happy to send you PDFs or print copies. 2. For our clients, to browse and listen to more choices, since it is difficult and sometimes impractical to make recordings of a huge and changing repertoire.
Sinfonia Votiva (Symphony No 8), Concerto For Orchestra.
Tracklist Hide Credits
|Quintet For 2 Violins, 2 Violas And Cello
Viola – Jenny Douglass
|2||Adagio Ed Espressivo|
|4||Canons (To The Memory Of Stravinsky) For String Quartet||1:51|
|Six Pieces For Cello|
|5||Prelude (Allegro Energico)|
|8||Berceuse (Lento E Dolce)|
|9||Fantasy (Con Fantasia)|
|10||Epilogue (Adagio Molto)|
|String Quartet No. 1 In E Minor|
- Phonographic Copyright (p) – Naxos Rights International Ltd.
- Copyright (c) – Naxos Rights International Ltd.
- Published By – Edward B. Marks Music Corporation
- Recorded At – State University Of New York At Purchase, Recital Hall
- Recorded At – American Academy and Institute of Arts and Letters, NYC
- Copyright (c) – Lebrecht Music & Arts
- Cello [Violoncello] – Joshua Gordon
- Composed By – Roger Sessions
- Edited By – Joanna Nickrenz
- Engineer – Jerry Bruck (tracks: 1 to 4, 11 to 13), Richard Brause (tracks: 1 to 4, 11 to 13)
- Ensemble – The Group For Contemporary Music
- Liner Notes – Andrea Olmstead
- Liner Notes [German Translation] – Cris Posslac
- Producer – Howard Stokar (tracks: 1 to 4, 11 to 13)
- Producer, Engineer – Michael Fine (tracks: 5 to 10)
- Viola – Lois Martin
- Violin – Benjamin Hudson, Carol Zeavin
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 636943926123
- Label Code: LC05537
- SPARS Code: DDD
|3-7113-2 H1||Roger Sessions, The Group For Contemporary Music||Roger Sessions, The Group For Contemporary Music - String Quintet · Canons · Six Pieces For Violoncello · First String Quartet (CD, Album)||Koch International Classics||3-7113-2 H1||Austria||1993|
|3-7616-2 H1||Roger Sessions, The Group For Contemporary Music||Roger Sessions, The Group For Contemporary Music - Quintet · Quartet (CD, Album, RE)||Koch International Classics||3-7616-2 H1||US||1997|